Internal Milestone 005 – Mini Polish Phase
This month’s milestone turned out to be quite a bit smaller than we initially planned. We were busy with contract work and weren’t able to put in as much time as usual to work on the project. We decided to use the time we did have to try to refine existing puzzles and improve the overall experience.
We played through the demo a bunch of times and did our best to identify areas that were frustrating or just plain not fun. We addressed these in a few ways:
- Improved puzzle balance (i.e. adjusted the timing and AI patrol paths to make the game more fun)
- Stopped AI from being able to see the player in areas where the player should be hidden
- Added more tutorials through gameplay to help the player learn the basic mechanics in the starting area
- Removed a level that just wasn’t working
- Minor changes to level layouts and added placeholder props
We also experimented with a new AI type, improved the readability of our temporary doors and added the ability to manually zoom the camera. All of these features can be seen in the video below.
Next milestone will be a smaller one as well as there is still an abundance of contract work left to finish up but we hope to add more features to our AI and try to get some art in.